Thursday, January 15, 2015

27 Hours in Portland

Inside on of Seattle's many coffee shops, waiting to catch the Bolt Bus to Portland.
My days off are mid-week, and this week I spent much of Tuesday and part of Wednesday in Portland, Oregon. I brought my SwiftyONE scooter and camera with me. Like most of my adventures, this was done on a low budget but I had a lot of fun and I took a bunch of pictures.



Swifty and the BoltBus in beautiful downtown Portland.
The BoltBus is a quick (3 hour), inexpensive ($16 each way) to travel between Seattle and Portland. Swifty folds to a compact package that fits easily into the lower cargo compartments on the bus. Bolt is very accommodating to bikes, you don't have to box them up and there is enough space to handle loaded touring bikes. A friend of mine has even taken her cargo bike several times on the Bolt. I also had a working electrical outlet at my bus seat and a strong WiFi connection all the way to Portland and back.

The BoltBus left Seattle at 8:00 AM and I was in downtown Portland by 11:00 AM.  


A small black scooter and BIG PINK office building.
My friend Michael works in Big Pink, a gigantic office tower in downtown Portland. He took me to lunch at a place a few blocks away that had terrific tacos and we we caught up on various details of each other's lives.

After Michael went back to work, I scootered across one of Portland's many bridges to go check out was was new at Clever Cycles. Along the way, I had a couple of different people spontaneously ask me about Swifty. And when I rolled into Clever Cycles, Todd said "I had a guy in here this morning asking what kinds of kick scooters we had here. I asked him if you'd sent him, but he claimed he didn't know you. I showed him the Nimble."

This is the Nimble Cargo Scooter.
I knew Todd had Nimble Cargo Scooters in stock at Clever, on of my goals on this trip was to test ride one. It took a little bit for me to get used to the linkage steering and the little, hard wheels are probably much better suited to warehouse floor than lumpy pavement but it was still fun to ride. It's a kind of bulky machine I don't need, but I can envision different kinds of workshops where it would come in handy.

Todd test rides Swifty
I'd told the folks at Swifty I'd take their scooter around to various shops that might be interested in carrying them in the US. Right now, the only way to get a Swifty in the US is to order it straight from Swifty in the UK, but it's a big leap of faith to order something you've never ridden. Right now, I'm kind of a Swifty evangelist spreading the good news of scootering to the new world.

Todd appreciates the smooth ride you get from 16" pneumatic tires.

 Todd has something really cool to show me, a tiny electrical assist for a Brompton. I got to ride it and it is amazing.

This is the motor and the drive wheel.

The rectangular pouch is the battery.
The little rotating knob is the throttle. There's also a tiny switch (not visible here) to activate the system.
The battery is the single most visible change to the entire bike.
The little motor is surprisingly peppy. This is still real new and if you want details, call up and talk to Todd but he told me the total weight of the system is 2.6 Kg (under 6 pounds). The capacity of the battery and the draw of the motor should give a range of nearly 40 miles on a charge. Price of the system will probably be around $1200 (on top of the cost of the Brompton).

One of the windows at Clever is prismatic and the afternoon light makes the whole place kind of trippy.
After my time at Clever I spend the rest of the sunny afternoon scootering along both sides of the river in Portland. The afternoon and evening light was lovely.














I didn't see any of these. Maybe it was too late in the day or maybe it's just a summer thing.














At 7:00 PM I worked my way back downtown to join the #NOKXL protest rally. This was one of hundreds of protests taking place against the extraction of tar sands oil and the building of the Keystone XL pipeline.



I brought my own NO KXL sign but the protest organizers also provided the NO PIPELINE banners.



This was the niftiest bit of protest art, towed to the site by bike because this is Portland.














Michael and I met back up at the rally. There was chanting and most of the cars going by were honking in support. There were probably around a hundred of us in the crowd.


Michael and I got to talking with Jen because she had this really bright, glowing vest. It's a NOX Tracer 360 Visibility Vest and it glows and pulses.


After the rally Michael and I made our way over to Velo Cult. Velo Cult is both a bar and bike shop. This is Portland. Of course they have a bar that is also a bike shop or maybe it's a bike shop that is also a bar. By the way, if you want to learn more about Portland, I highly recommend a documentary series on IFC called Portlandia. Some people claim it's a comedy, but as near as I can tell, it's 100% true.


Of course there's a bluegrass band playing tonight. Because this is Portland.







See, not just bikes. Also beer and cider and tea and...
Every blog post is improved by adding cute animal pictures
Michael is a generous guy so I spent the night in his guest bedroom and in the morning I got a nice home-made breakfast and got to meet Michael's sister-in-law's dog.


It's another pretty day in Portland and on my way to my next destination, I stopped by a Little Free Library. I love these things and Portland has a lot of them.


Portland also has plenty of random art. This caught my eye.


I had an appointment to check out Rose City Recumbents. In a few months they'll have a regular retail storefront, but for now they're working out a warehouse/shop space.





This is a CRUZBIKE Front-wheel drive recumbent.



I'd ridden FWD years ago and was happy to learn I hadn't lost the skill.

Jonathan checks out Swifty. I think we have a new scooter fan.
After an hour of riding bikes, chatting about recumbents, trikes, the bike business, scooters and all kinds of other groovy things it was time for me to roll back toward downtown.


Of course I went by another Little Free Library. I got a nice book of  Ogden Nash poems from this one.

In downtown Portland I folded up Swifty and got back on the Bolt Bus. Three hours later, this was my view as we rolled into Seattle.


And that, my friends, was my little mini-vacation to Portland, Oregon. I had a lot of fun and I'm sure I'll get back there again some time soon.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent

4 comments:

Unknown said...

1. Is Bolt owned by Greyhound? If so, they need to get their differing policies on bike boxes straightened out.
2. That electrical assist is three quarters the size of the Brompton itself.

Jolene said...

Great blog, Kent! I love Velo Cult. I have seennothers wearing that lighted vest. I like it! I like thT e-Brommie! I will have to go by Clever Cycles again soon. We also love that cool window. You took a much better photo of it than I did.

Bolt bus is not related to Greyhound, Jake. It only runs between big college towns. It competes with Amtrak the most.

dcee604 said...

Ah, great post! And the Bolt Bus! It comes to Vancouver BC as well, so maybe I'll see you scootering around my city one of these days? Plenty of bike routes, seawalls and bike shops for you to check out! And your American dollar goes further up here!

Karen ( said...

I'm intrigued with the idea of kick scooters as a park concession. To prove the concept, I think the Swifty has to be tried by different age groups and people of different sizes. It'd be nice to identify a scooter so well balanced that everyone could access it. ... There is a foot bike concession on the NYC side of the Hudson River, but all the marketing information features really fit 20-somethings who chatter about fitness. If I was visiting a park, I'd rather have an enjoyable way to get around without requiring grunt. Possibly the Swifty could be the ride that satisfies the most people.