Tuesday, October 08, 2013

The Avenir 100 Series Saddle: Inexpensive, Rugged and Comfortable


Some of the best products are those you take for granted because they just work. I've had this saddle on my beloved Trek Allant for the past year and a half and I pretty much haven't thought about it. I haven't thought "Oh this is too hard" or "This is too soft" or "this is too pretty" or "it's raining I better cover my saddle." Nope, I've just ridden my bike and haven't had to think much about the saddle.

I replaced the stock saddle on my Allant because that saddle was a bit too puffy and a tad too brown for my tastes. I sit more upright on my Allant than I do on some of my other bikes, so my standard "go to" saddle, a WTB Rocket V didn't seem quite right. The Avenir 100 Series Mountain Saddle looked to be about the right shape and at a price of less than $20, I thought it was worth a try.

I have often said that if there was one perfect saddle, we'd all be riding it. Well, the truth is different people have different butts and we sit different on different bikes so there really isn't one saddle to rule them all. But my experience with this saddle has been 100 percent positive. The saddle was comfy from day one and after a year and half, it still looks new and is just as comfy. I've ridden 100 plus mile days, done multi-day tours and done lots of city riding on this saddle and I've concluded that this was a very good purchase. If you check the reviews on Amazon, you'll find a lot of other folks like this saddle as well. Again, your butt might be different and it might not be right for you, but if you aren't happy with your current saddle (or you have a bike that needs a new seat), this is one saddle that I really think is worth checking out.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah WA USA



1 comment:

Yokota Fritz said...

There's something to be said for those basic, functional non-pretentious plastic saddles.