Saturday, April 02, 2011

#30DaysofBiking: Where The Rain Goes


It isn't actually raining when I leave home at 7:15 AM but it's been raining for minutes, days, weeks, and months before and the rain will surely find me before I find my way home. Sunshine is simpler, requiring less layers, less wool, less resolve but repetition and ritual can overcome inertia.

Inertia: the tendency to be inert.

But a body in motion tends to stay in motion. Calendars and clocks should remind us of the simple truth: a world turning, moving, not inert.

Momentum is what happens when Inertia gets up off the couch.

And so I'm out the door and down the stairs, bike in hand and then the bike is on the ground, the butt is on the bike, the wheels are turning because a damp choice has been made.

The damp world is in motion, water moves when given any chance. The river isn't resting in the bed today, it's moving the rocks around. Tomorrow never looks just like today and when I go where the rains go, I remember that.

Keep 'em rolling,

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah WA USA



5 comments:

Gary B. said...

Hi Kent, I really like this-
"Momentum is what happens when Inertia gets up off the couch".

Thanks and happy spring!

Gary B.

keithmo said...

Today's weather was definitely bipolar. I saw ~1/2" sleet accumulation in Redmond around 2:00pm, occasional heavy rain, and even some sunshine towards the end of my ride. What a day.

Ground Round Jim said...

Making haiku again?

Like it.

Mike said...

Hi. I was wondering about the make and specs of the bike in the picture. Thanks.

Kent Peterson said...

Hi Mike,

The bike is an Urbana that I'm reviewing. Search this blog for my previous first impressions post and stay tuned for a more in depth review.

Urbana's website is at:

http://www.urbanabikes.com/