Saturday, April 16, 2011

#30DaysofBiking: Some Steam Doesn't Blow Off


My late friend Bob used to lead a lovely little bike ride highlighting the bridges of Issaquah, some of the small shortcuts and less traveled routes inaccessible by car. I realize today that Bob and I and other riders are technically wrong in going over these bridges, as the sign clearly stating "Pedestrians Only" points out. But the rule articulated by my friend Tarik, "Try Not To Be An Ass," is one that Bob lived by and I try to follow and I yield to pedestrians on their turf and we all get along in the spirit of getting along.

I'm thinking about this on this morning's ride as I'm trying to blow off steam and the steam is not blowing off. What has got me worked up is the story forwarded out by @BikeSnobNYC titled "NYC Cyclist Ticketed For Riding on Sidewalk; Passerby Arrested For Cracking Joke." Follow the link. Watch the video.

I don't want the steam I'm feeling to blow off. This is not OK. Right now in this country pointing out ridiculous security theater procedures at airports gets you added to terrorist watch lists. Whistle-blower videos of inhumane conditions in factory farms are leading not to reform of those farms, but legislation out-lawing the creation of such videos. Photography in many forms is being criminalized in the name of making us "safe". This is wrong.

Enough. I've had enough. I can't do everything and tomorrow I'll probably be calmer and go back to what I mostly do, write about bikes and things that are mostly right with the world. But I'm still pissed off now and I cut my ride short this morning because it seemed more important to spread the word of something very wrong. This is a little blog with little reach, but it's something.

Sometimes I turn the pedals, sometimes I tap on the keyboard. This morning, I had to tap on the keyboard.

5 comments:

JuliaR said...

It's interesting. Here in Ottawa, we have had a recent rash of "police brutality" charges. Attitudes do need to change. But in addition to your friend's sage advice of "don't be an ass", I'd like to add, "don't piss off people with guns." Go sue them later, but don't annoy them at the time. It's akin to back-talking your parents - they might be wrong but there are better ways of handling it. Don't get me wrong! I am not excusing bad behaviour on the part of authority figures who carry guns. Their education has obviously been lacking. I'm just saying we can all try not to act like asses.

JuliaR said...

Now that I've watched the whole thing, I agree - everyone could have acted better. I'm just glad the guy they arrested didn't resist more than he did - he could have been injured. At least this way, he can sue them and not from a hospital bed.

I wonder if the cyclist ever got a ticket, after all that?

Anonymous said...

Here's a bit from the NY Post, from a story about a woman arrested for having a small tote bag on her handlebars (yes, seriously):

When she protested, she said the officer comforted her by adding, "Don't worry, you can go to court. The judges always throw these out."

They throw them out because the rider hadn't even broken a law. The point here isn't enforcement--the cops are collecting names of bicyclists and forcing them into court to create a record. It's a TIA variant.

That also explains why the cops purposely escalated the situation in the video--which they could have easily ignored (and would have in the past). Provoke, collect names, get something on anyone who steps out of line, who jokes or questions authority.

On the bright side, it's easier to be a radical than ever before. All you gotta do is pedal a bike. Or crack a joke.

I disagree that the cops lack education--like the TSA at the airports, cops are trained in exactly the techniques you see here. Provocation to create behaviors; creating a record of those behaviors. It's the record that's important, not a successful conviction.

And, at least in the US, you can't sue them and win, and most often you can't sue them at all due to immunity doctrines.

Oldfool said...

Seems to me that the USA fought a couple of wars against that kind of thuggery. Looks like we lost. In my life I've had some good experiences with the pOLICE, some good and some bad. Mostly bad.
I carry two cameras now just to document that which is illegal to document.
Here in Louisiana they will beat you to near death then drop you off at the hospital to die.

Anonymous said...

Oops, you already well-covered the tote bag crime.

Nevermind.