Thursday, November 30, 2006

Bicycle Quarterly

Bicycle Quarterly is a really wonderful magazine. I'm pretty sure I'd say that even if I wasn't friends with Jan Heine, the editor and publisher of the magazine and also if I wasn't friends with several of the other folks who write for Bicycle Quarterly on a regular basis. But I am friends with those guys in great part because we share a common interest in and love of bicycles. Originally Jan called his magazine Vintage Bicycle Quarterly and it was an astounding source of great information about bicycles from an earlier time. But Jan's interests aren't just historical and while the magazine still has lots of historical information, it also contains reviews of contemporary bicycles, stories of epic rides, tests of modern tires and lights and a wealth of other great information.

Unlike most other magazines, Bicycle Quarterly, is not just a bunch of slightly reworked ad copy designed to make you buy the latest this or that. A lot of thought and work goes into each issue and the quality shows through on every page. Each issue of Bicycle Quarterly (at least every issue I've seen!) is one of those all too rare items in this day and age, a genuine treasure.

More info about Bicycle Quarterly can be seen here:

http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/vbqindex.html

2 comments:

2436onfilm said...

Hi Kent,
here's Reiner from Belgium!
Thanks for the great link to BQ.
Have had some nasty experiences with Bike Culture Quarterly but this one seemes to hit me in the heart(again).
It's bang on: people like reading the "how do I get faster with some new 10speed gimmicks?" magazines nowadays.
But there are many of us riding solid as a rock 7speeds with friction/1st gen SIS downtube levers!
Hope you'll enjoy the studs,
till later,
Reiner

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr Peterson,
Bicycle Quartely seems a very interesting magazine.
Last tuesday, after visiting their web site, I subscribed a one year subscription.
I like solid bikes, upright position, "old school" randonneuring (looking the landscapes, make photos, riding slowly, stop to have lunch...).
I had carbon race bicycle, carbon MTB, but my actual bikes are a beloved 17 years old Kettler Adventure and a new A-bike (funny as a pushscooter).
Keep on blogging, your blog and your Randonneuring Page are one of my prefered bicycle sites (always interesting, great photos, interesting thoughts...)
Best Regards,
Emmanuel (french cyclist)